Developers - I wont buy because of Ilok

Syn'X related support and issues : Find workaround, install tips or reports problems you could have using the Syn'X

Developers - I wont buy because of Ilok

Postby Xman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:34 am

Ive been messing around with the demo of the synthix and I like it a lot
However, not very cool at all the nonIlok demo seems to have a number of features missing
some of which I really wanted to try out, specifically the LFO routings

Anyway, my main point is this: I vowed a couple of years ago I will not ever purchase another
ILOK protected plugin again and I have stuck by that and have since had a much better software experience.
There are a number of specific reasons but but Im sure you have heard them all before

I'm absolutely positive the ILOK puts a number of people
off buying. I understand developers concerns about piracy but as far as I can tell it matters not because
the software ends up being cracked. I want to support your development of software BUt not if its
Ilok protected.

I of course had to join the forum just to say this, so it does mean Im serious. Get rid of Ilok and I, as will others
Im sure buy your software.

Thanks
Xman

Re: Developers - I wont buy because of Ilok

Postby Robo2k » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't understand your point.
For every XILS product, you can choose between eLicenser and iLok. I prefer the elicenser because it doensn't necessarily need an USB dongle, you can keep all your licenses stored on the hard drive (that's a feature called "soft licenser" or something like that) of your production machine. And if you still want to be flexible, you can always use the usb donge in any other computer. eLicenser updates its software often, I never had any problems with it. If you don't like iLok (and neither do I), go for eLicenser!

Small companies like XILS no doubt can't afford a more sophisticated (but not necessarily better) copy protection. And I agree that (bad) copy protection only penalises the honest customer. To me the eLicenser model has worked quite well for now. It's a compromise and I am OK with it as long as everything works with no hassle.

What would you suggest as an alternative? No copy protection at all?
Robo2k

Postby Lotuzia » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:55 am

Xman wrote:Ive been messing around with the demo of the synthix and I like it a lot
However, not very cool at all the nonIlok demo seems to have a number of features missing
some of which I really wanted to try out, specifically the LFO routings

Anyway, my main point is this: I vowed a couple of years ago I will not ever purchase another
ILOK protected plugin again and I have stuck by that and have since had a much better software experience.
There are a number of specific reasons but but Im sure you have heard them all before

I'm absolutely positive the ILOK puts a number of people
off buying. I understand developers concerns about piracy but as far as I can tell it matters not because
the software ends up being cracked. I want to support your development of software BUt not if its
Ilok protected.

I of course had to join the forum just to say this, so it does mean Im serious. Get rid of Ilok and I, as will others
Im sure buy your software.

Thanks

By protecting Xils synthesizers, Xils-Lab also protect your investment : None of the illegal versions of the Synthix for example are working properly ( for good reasons ) :)

And to second Robo2k, yes you can use either Ilok or Elicencer versions. I have both dongles working on a PC for a long time, and I still prefer dongles to C/R protection schemes. ( Couldn't reinstall Gigastudio on my last PC because of that )

You can still enjoy the light versions like XIls 3 LE or PolyKB enhanced player synthesizer, wich are only protected by a serial. At that price, They dont have any serious competitors -imho- . The PolyKB player for example has the same exact audio engine than its big brother, and delivers a fat "no compromise" sound for a fraction of the cost. Stil you can assign 8 knobs to crucial parameters ( Filters, Adsr etc ).

I can however perfectly understand your POV : I also would prefer that piracy was not a concern.
Lotuzia

Postby xavier » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi,

Just a word about eLicenser : some years ago, eLicenser provided what they called "soft-eLicenser", a protection which doesn't need an hardware USB key. For new products (unfortunately just before we released the XILS 3), they didn't provide it any more.

This means that for XILS-lab full version products, you need an USB dongle (eLicenser or iLok).

Best regards
Xavier
xavier

Developers I wont buy because of Ilok

Postby Stanleyor » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:13 am

Ok, but if I need to change the ADGainList, how could I do this?

Thanks, Patxi
hello
Stanleyor

Return to Syn'X support