New piece using ChorX

General discussion about XILS-lab

New piece using ChorX

Postby Sweep » Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 pm

I've just put a new piece on my Synthi Music site which uses ChorX. This was a major factor in making the piece three dimensional and `earthy.' It's inspired by an ancient yew tree and I wanted to get a sense of the shade of the tree, the feeling of being surrounded by something massive and ancient, and the ambient quality of the sounds in the area. ChorX provided both movement and three dimensional depth.

It's The Sacred Yew, number 18 in the player at http://thesynthimusicsite.infinite9ths.com/ Frank Spears played EMS Synthi A and I played shakuhachi as well as processing the sounds using the Direct Wave sampler and ChorX. As Frank's EMS Synthi performance was replayed by me in Direct Wave, all the sounds in the piece were processed with ChorX, which followed Direct Wave in the signal chain as I layered each part of the music.

I'm finding ChorX difficult to demo as the sound is so subtle, though I may well make a couple of short demo pieces. But certainly in making a complete piece of music like this, ChorX is exactly what I've been needing for quite a while now, to bring alive the full depth and ambience of the sound when I'm evoking specific places in music.
Sweep

Re: New piece using ChorX

Postby xavier » Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks a lot sweep,

Some years ago (many years, now) I studied how to record real classical instruments, using microphone. My teacher was one of those who invented Stereo at ORTF (the French Radio at this time) back in 1960 !
For him, the only way for a good record was to get a dual microphone (with a 120° angle), and during hours and hours, trying to find the right place to put it. Nothing more, nothing else.
He hated multi-microphone recording, what he called "PanPot" (Balance knob, to make stereo only with level).

This lessons was one of the most important I got about sound and that's why, creating the DynamYX for the PolyKB and the Chor'X for adding new stereo effects, I remembered him and emulated his rule instead of just balancing the signal to the right and the left channel.

That's why you feel this natural 3-d effect with Chor'X !

Your piece is very inspiriting and fresh. It put me right in front of this tree, with all the stories it know but never tell.

Best regards
Xavier

Best regards
Xavier
xavier

Postby Sweep » Thu May 17, 2012 9:16 pm

For me, this 3d effect is the best thing about ChorX. I'm starting to think about using it on everything.

The dual microphones technique is interesting. It's something so many of us have lost sight of when we're recording electric instruments, and it's good to have something that gives this technique back to us.

I was talking with an early music group a couple of years ago about an album they were recording. They'd had a lot of problems with recording engineers who had no idea how to record a group of musicians with period instruments and get the fresh and lively sound of this music onto CD. One of the things I suggested was recording the whole thing with a pair of mics, and I mentioned the brilliantly recorded 1985 album by the Norwegian early music group Kalenda Maya as an example of how perfectly that method works with such music. But I didn't think of applying the same method to my own music until ChorX suggested it.

I intend to try ChorX with some bird sounds made with a Moog, in a few days when I've changed computers. If it makes a good demo piece I'll mention it here.
Sweep

Postby Sweep » Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 pm

I may still do the Moog Birds demo, but I've also just completed a new piece using ChorX - `Sunday Afternoon' which is number 51 in the music player on my main website at http://sweep.infinite9ths.com

ChorX is becoming more or less indispensable, either at the recording stage or in a final layer of processing. Sunday Afternoon was done using ChorX on each pair of stereo tracks. I'm now about to develop a recent DX7 piece by taking a mix and processing it through ChorX before returning it to the mixer to be blended into the final mix.

It would be handly, actually, to have a way to play WAV files within ChorX, or else play them directly into ChorX from some other kind of player. At the moment I'm using ChorX to process the output from a software sampler that plays the WAV file, but that isn't ideal. This DX7 piece is over fifty minutes long and the sampler isn't capable of handling a fifty minute WAV file, so I'm having to make a series of separate WAV files and then join them up again at the final mix stage after using ChorX on them.
Sweep

Postby Sweep » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm not sure if Sunday Afternoon was a bit too far out. But I've just recorded Wednesday Afternoon, which is now on my EMS website, The Synthi Music Site - Beyond EMS http://theSynthiMusicSite.infinite9ths.com where it's number 19 in the music player.

This one is a mixture of hardware and software - EMS Synthi A, XILS 3 and Rehberg Synthi Av, Direct Wave sampler, and a couple of bird and voice samples. It's very much in the experimental, Radiophonic/IRCAM tradition.

There's some stereo separation from a stereo delay, but the three-dimensional effects and movements are contributed by ChorX. I recorded the piece and then put the WAV file of the mix through ChorX as the final stage.
Sweep

Return to XILS-lab